The Original British Idler
Look at the WritersThe original The Idler monthly magazine was first published in 1892 and came to an end along with civilisation as we knew it in 1911. What contributors! Jerome K. Jerome of Three Men in a Boat and Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow fame was editor and staff writer; and the magazine published pieces by such luminaries as Rudyard Kipling, Mark Twain, Aleister Crowley and Arthur Conan Doyle.
Free OfferDid you know it is possible to get your kidskin-gloved hands on a few free copies of the original The Idler magazine?
The magazines are a delight to read. I was going to reproduce an essay on the Boat Race in the March issue — Experiences of a 'Varsity Oar (illustration below) — in time for this year's race, but left it too late.
- The Idler, Volume III., February 1893
- The Idler Magazine, Volume III, March 1893
- The Idler Magazine, Volume III, April 1893
- The Idler Magazine, Volume III, June 1893
- The Idler Magazine, Vol III. May 1893
- The Idler Magazine, Volume III., July 1893
Feel free to use the Comments section to mention a favourite article from these magazines.
And don't forget the contemporary Idler.