Spotlight on Anglepoise
Banish Blackout Eyestrain with an Anglepoise
The Anglepoise lamp, patented in 1932, was invented by industrial designer George Carwardine. His innovative lamp uses a system of joints suspended with springs to create an articulated arm for directional lighting. This inspirational design drew on his professional knowledge of vehicle suspension.
Carwardine produced the original lamps in workshops in Bath, England. Such was their popularity that he needed a partner to increase the scale of manufacturing. In 1934, Carwardine signed a licensing agreement with Herbert Terry and Sons Ltd, and the 4-spring Anglepoise or Terry Lamp was launched at the British Industries Fair. It came in very useful during the war and all those inconvenient blackouts, as the advertisement above testifies. Thanks to the lamp's qualities, a chap could continue with his novel or jigsaw puzzle whilst the doodlebugs dropped.
Such was the perfection of the design, it has changed little over 75 years. The outcome of a further collaboration with Terrys in 1934 was a patent for a 3-spring version of the lamp. This became the Anglepoise 1227. And it's still being made, and recognisably the same British design classic, save for a few minor changes to the electrics and base.
21st Century Anglepoise
Despite heavy competition from cheapo lamp copyists, The Tweed Pig is happy to report that the Terry family are still involved in the production of Anglepoise lamps, with father and son team John and Simon Terry now running the company. They are continuing to focus on creating products that combine quality, function and design.
Anglepoise, as the company is now known, recently brought manufacturing back to the UK with a quirky version of the famous Anglepoise 1227 lamp. The Giant 1227 is three times the size of the original and built entirely in the UK. What a beast.